Get Smart About Your Criminal Charge Contact Us Today

Gun Charges Defense Lawyer in Pennsylvania

Peters Law Firm Sept. 25, 2020

Because of recent tragic events like school shootings, the laws that regulate guns in the U.S. are constantly changing and sometimes it’s a challenge to know what is legal and what is not. The state of Pennsylvania is an “open carry” state, which means that most adults over age 21 can carry a gun without a permit and you may keep a gun in your house or place of business. However, if you want to carry a gun outside your home, you must apply for a special permit.  A charge for illegal gun possession is a serious charge that can mean jail time or fines as well as a criminal record. If you’ve been charged with gun-related charges, you need to consult with an experienced gun charges defense lawyer.

Who May Legally Carry a Gun?

Any responsible and mentally competent adult in Pennsylvania may keep a gun at home or work or may carry a gun with the appropriate gun permit. However, no one may carry a gun in a school or courthouse. Those who have been convicted of certain crimes, like abuse of illegal drugs or any sort of felonies like robbery, murder, rape, or arson, may not legally carry a gun. People with a conviction of a domestic violence-related crime or those who have been dishonorably discharged from the military may also not carry a gun.  Nearly all gun carrying violations are felonies, and as a result, have serious penalties.

Call to Schedule a Free Consultation With a Pennsylvania Gun Charges Defense Lawyer Today

If you are facing an illegal gun possession charge, call to schedule a free consultation with a Pennsylvania gun charges defense lawyer today. The legal professionals at the Peters Law Firm are up to date with the most recent state and federal gun laws and regulations and will work toward building you an effective defense. We serve the cities of Scranton and Clark Summit as well as Wyoming County, Tunkhannock County, Luzerne County, Wayne County, Susquehanna County, and Lackawanna County. Visit our web page or give us a call and let us give you the legal advice you can trust.